Castle Hotel sits majestically on Windsor’s quintessentially English High Street, close to Windsor Castle and opposite Sir Christopher Wren’s Windsor Guildhall. One of the most elegant buildings in Windsor, Castle Hotel is steeped in history.
It started life as the humble Mermaid Inn in 1528, when the landlord George Pennington created the hotel’s own currency, the Pennington Penny, to help with the shortage f small coins. A hundred years later the hotel gained a Royal Warrant, making it an official posting inn. Renamed The Castle after a century of success, the hotel was soon regarded as one of the finest inns in the area, a reputation it retains today more than ever.
Following extensive renovation, the Castle of today is an exceptional boutique hotel with all the charm and character of its history – run by a succession of bold and dynamic owners and enjoyed for centuries by many eminent guests – now preserved for local and international visitors.